Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Big Reboot Project and Other News


Yeah, I'm still alive if anyone wants to know. It's been a long time since I've posted an album review or really anything else for that matter. The cause of my recent inactivity is threefold. First, my day job has kept me really busy during the last six months with no sign of things letting up until possibly this summer. That's a good thing. When I started this blog three years ago, I was hardly working at all due to the lousy economy, which meant that I had plenty of free time to devote to Record Fiend. Now the opposite is true. Although I don't think that I'll ever again be able to post as frequently as I did in 2009 and 2010, having a steady cash flow is a fair tradeoff. The second factor that contributed to my absence was the MegaUpload debacle, an incident that sent some major shock waves through the music blogging community. Some of my fellow electronic scribes threw in the towel after deciding that the environment was just too hostile to continue operations. Others, perhaps most notably the late lamented Holy Warbles (best regards if you're out there, brother owl), had their sites taken down by whatever hosting entity they were utilizing, actions that were more likely deliberately preemptive than coincidental. While we are fortunate that SOPA and PIPA were never enacted by Congress here in the US, the realist in me views this victory as only a temporary setback for the bloated entertainment industry. If it feels like it's just too risky to keep this thing going, I'll probably have to retire from music blogging on a permanent basis. That said, I'm willing to test the waters and see what happens. The final reason for my hiatus from Record Fiend has to do with the publishing opportunities in print media that this site has provided for me. Having contributed two articles to Ugly Things magazine and with a third piece in the works, I'm finding that I now have to budget my time for writing projects, regardless of whether they're attributed to yours truly's legal name or my more colorful blogging moniker. I also have some contributions appearing in the debut issue of Flashback magazine, which hits the newsstands next month, and am very proud to be part of what promises to be an outstanding periodical that primarily covers mind-expanding music from the 1960s and early 1970s. And then there's a blues-related labor of love that I've been working on since last summer but is regrettably moving at a snail's pace. The long and short of it is that having to multitask several different writing assignments has also been a major reason why there hasn't been a lot of recent activity in these parts.

FEVERISHLY WORKING ON OTHER LITERARY UNDERTAKINGS

As many of you have astutely noticed, the aforementioned MegaUpload affair significantly affected this blog, and I will start addressing that issue with a major reboot of Record Fiend. This will involve reposting every album review and, where necessary, making new CD and vinyl rips in a lossless audio format. Of course, there will be a few other tweaks here and there, all with the purpose of contributing to your reading, viewing, and listening pleasure. I will be going back to the very beginning and reposting the reviews in the order in which they originally appeared. A number of you have e-mailed me or left comments requesting that I repost something in particular that is no longer available for sharing. I ask that you excuse me for not having the time to respond to these queries. Rest assured that everything will eventually be restored here, but the reposts will be appearing in the fashion that I previously detailed. As a result, some of you will have to be a little more patient than others, and I hope that you will understand my decision to handle matters in this fashion. There are also still many albums in my collection that I would like to review and share for your benefit in the future. When time is available, I will try to include some new material among the reposts during this big reboot project.

12 comments:

  1. feeling for you bro..............

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grateful for whatever, however, whenever you contribute. Thank you for everything so far and on into oblivion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to hear that things are going so well and that you'll be continuing the blog in some form. All of us record fiends out appreciate all that you do. Looking forward to Flashback (is that a contradiction in terms?)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for you and your successes in the writing game. It's good to be busy. If you do fewer posts now than you had been in the past, I'll appreciate each one a little more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar and I wish you well. As a recent retiree from the world of letters I know how hard it can be to juggle labours of love and cash projects, but I'm glad you're branching out into writing for cash, as this is the only music blog I ever found that I log on to as much to read as to listen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always enjoyed reading you, even though I don't always d/l the audible content. I knew patience would win out!

    also LOL Ring Lardner

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good news!
    Glad to hear you're doing fine and look forward to future posts...it's always been quality over quantity as far as I'm concerned so, it's ok with me if you won't be able to post too often. All the best

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best of look to you in your current and future endeavors. You're always interested to watch, no matter what the heck you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've really enjoyed the music that you've exposed me to over the past year or so that I've been aware of your blog - and not just the music, but also your discussions of it, which are always informative to me. So ... thanks very much for all you've done, and I am looking forward to whatever new music you may want or have time to expose in the future. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to know you're alive and well. Record Fiend is a worthy undertaking. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your presence on the Web is a blessing for all lovers of culture and music. Insight, historical reference, and digital audio archive are the features of this blog that will serve to preserve the artistic work of our forefathers.

    ReplyDelete